The doors of one of Sydney’s busiest Saturday markets are set to close after 30 years.
The Glebe Markets announced its closure on Wednesday, with Saturday February 25 expected to be the last day of trading.
“Thank you for sharing the last 31 years with us,” the markets said in the announcement.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
The markets, which were first started back in 1992 and are held on the grounds of Glebe Public School, have become a much loved community event for Sydneysiders.
No reason has yet been offered for the mooted closure, but the NSW Department of Education told 7NEWS.com.au it was working to “find an interim solution”.
“The markets have been a mainstay at Glebe Public School for more than 30 years and play an important role in bringing the school and wider Glebe community together,” a spokesperson said.
“The Department and the City of Sydney are working together to find an interim solution to keep the markets operating now that the current operator has indicated they will not continue.
“Planning is underway to tender for an ongoing operator of the markets at Glebe Public School.”
Locals took the news to heart, with many flocking to the comments of the shock announcement to share their dismay.
“An institution gone,” one woman said.
“As a lifelong local I’ve been coming to these markets since the ‘90s. They are so much more than just a market – they are an essential part of our community,” another added.
“This is the worst news of the year so far,” a third piped in.
Others desperately pleaded to keep the markets in operation, and asked if there was anything they could do to help.
“Can you guys tell us why so the community can maybe help?!” one person said.
“Is there anything we could do to help?” another added.
“Can someone save it please,” a third said.
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .